I feel like I haven’t written a blog post (besides the peek into my week) in awhile! So, here I am! Summer has started, the pool has opened, and we had our annual conversation with Dr Campbell about Bea’s limitations in water.
For those that don’t remember (or have just joined me here), because Bea is on a medication that suppresses her immune system, she can get sick a lot easier than most people. Things hit her harder, she picks things up quicker, etc. Not just in the pool – anywhere at any time.
One of the first things our doctor told us in the beginning was that when Bea is on her medication, she shouldn’t swim in lakes (bummer, but fine), rivers (totally fine), ponds (even more fine), and public swimming pools (WHAT?!). I was so shocked by this.
The reason Bea should stay away from those bodies of water is because of water born bacteria and diseases. Specific to pools – we are talking about giardia and crypto.
Now, some doctors are more lenient than others and it really depends on the pool. Bea CAN swim in private pools because we know who is swimming there, who is keeping it clean, etc. We trust that anyone who is sick or has been sick in a week isn’t swimming in that pool unless they tell us.
We belong to a swim club in Hyde Park that JUST put a brand new pool system in with a top-of-the-line filtration system. We know almost everyone that goes into the pool and they are aware of Bea and her compromised immune system. It isn’t quite a private pool and in my opinion, it isn’t quite a public pool.
So, like we do every year – we had our annual “pool” conversation with Dr C. We talked it through with her, assessed the risk, and then Jordan and I met together and came up with our “pool rules” for the summer.
Our decision is that we are having Bea learn how to swim in a private pool setting throughout the summer. We hired a swim instructor and will teach her how to feel comfortable in the water. When we go to the pool we belong to, we let her splash, and play and just do everything we can to make sure she isn’t getting water into her mouth (no going under, no drinking water, wash hands before lunch etc). It isn’t full proof but we are doing our best to let her enjoy summer life but also stay safe.
This is one of the harder things I’ve contemplated as a Mom. I am assuming risk by letting her play in the pool but if I don’t let her play in the pool, she could become scared of water and not learn how to swim.
SO – say a prayer that this mom and dad made the right decision. This is the hardest part about parenthood – you never know if what you are doing is right! But we are confident in the decisions we have made for Bea and are confident in this one too. Prayers for a healthy summer wouldn’t hurt though, right?! 🙂
***I am also fully aware that our decision may not be the best for other families. A LOT went into this decision – dosage of medication she’s currently on, her current health, input from her doctors, etc. SO if you have a child on immunosuppressants – chat openly with your doctors